Snowflake users want to know whether they are using Snowflake efficiently. Every day, SELECT intelligently scans all the different resources and workloads running in your account, and identifies the potential savings associated with a variety of different optimization opportunities. These optimization opportunities are surfaced as insights through the SELECT web application.
Insights on Individual Resource Pages
When applicable, optimization opportunities are highlighted on the individual resource pages throughout SELECT. Here's an example shown for a Snowpipe with inneficiently sized files resulting in excessive costs:
To help users instantly discover all the different Snowflake optimization opportunities in their account, we also surface Insights on a centralized page, accessible from the side bar.
The "Overview" tab highlights your top optimization opportunities, showing the total savings potential, the estimated effort to implement this optimization, and the number of resources the insight applies to.
In addition, we surface two other valuable datasets:
- The highest cost workloads in your account. Many users are unaware of which workloads (think dashboards, dbt models, or recurring query patterns) drive the most consumption. Users should regularly review their top workloads to ensure they are inline with expectations and providing more value than they cost.
- The workloads that increased the most in the given time period. This helps users spot workloads that have had a performance/cost regression, or new workloads that first surfaced in the given period.
On the Insights "Explorer" tab, you can browse, filter and sort through all your optimization opportunities.
Each row is clickable, and reveals an Insight detail card showing additional information about the insight, how the potential savings were calculated, and the estimated effort required to action this opportunity.
We have a number of ongoing improvements planned for our Insights feature:
- Add more Insight types (i.e. clustering key recommendations, queries with exploding joins, warehouse configuration issues, etc.)
- Allow Insights to be filtered by Usage Group
- Improve the management of Insights by allowing them to be dismissed or archived